10 of the best Free music plugins 2020
VST Synths are pretty much one of the most thrilling and exciting items to have in your arsenal which producers have to passionately work on there tracks with today.
Synthesizers with some clout and the various other hardware tools that were used in earlier studios around the world would often run into costing thousands. Thankfully with technology being more widely available and modern day computers handling the processing of these modules and virtual instruments well, they are now available in your DAW anywhere, anytime and at faction of the cost.
And now in this day and age, the best part? Countless numbers of them are available as completely as Freeware plugins. You’ll find ten of the best free plugins synths for you to enhance your music.
Synthesizer plugins and related software are great for everything from massive warm pads to massive gritty sub bass, to retro old skool analogue sounding VST plugins.
You can now get practically everything you need to at a fraction of the cost, and space which was once required by hardware modules and synths in your studio.
Listed below are a break down of Free plugin VSTs for producing music in your DAW.
The Tyell N6 is a slick and stylish synth with strong analog sounds and ease of workflow.
Features include and impressive preset library, loopable evelopes, modulation matrix as well as cracking extras such as built in overdrive.
Tyrell N6 is a quality freeware synth that any producer can use to make great sounds to enhance their productions.
– Virtual analogue with classic architecture plus extras
– 2 oscillators, noise, ring modulator
– 2 LFOs with 8 waveforms, host-syncable
– Audio source mixer with authentic overdrive and filter feedback
– Twin filter related to Diva (early model)
– Analogue-type ADSR envelopes, loopable or LFO-triggered
– Skinnable Over 580 factory presets
With an interface with its logical, and encompasses clear and helpful graphics, that enables you to get your head round aspects of basic synesis. Its great sounding and extremely easy for beginners to get into and use.
- Distortion module-
- Filter Envelope
- Amplitude Envelope
- Step Sequencer
- Virtual scale keyboard
Dexd FM synthesizer is a freeware synth based on the legendary Yamaha DX7. Grouping together all the classic sounds and functionality of its predecessor in original modern packaged synth.
With functions that make dexed. You’ll find classic 6 operator FM synthesis much easier to take on board and program functions that was with the hardware interface.
Expect a great free synth VST that is perfect for percussive sounds, mallets, aggressive or icy cold pads, distorted basses.
- Multi platform (OS X, Windows or Linux) and multi format (VST, AU, LV2)
- The sound engine music-synthesizer-for-android is closely modeled on the original DX7 characteristics
- 144 DAW automatable DX7 parameters available from one single panel
- Fully supports DX7 input and output Sysex messages; including controller change. This means that you can use this with
- a native DX7/TX7 as a patch editor and sysex manager
- Each operator have a realtime VU meter to know which one is active
- Can load/save any DX7/TX7 sysex programs. It is also possible to save a single program into a different sysex file.
Did someone say analog sound, the DiscoDSP’s OB-Xd version is one of the most longed for and requested instruments in analog synth folk law—the Oberheim OB-X.
Enjoy this completely free VST plugin which gives you access to the rich sound of the OB-X in your workstation.
Expect , Deep basses, enveloping analog pads, and searing leads. Get inspired with this in your arsenal.
- Filters, and filter envelopes
- Voice Variation
- Micro random detuning
- HP- Notch (BP) – HP in 12 db mode and 4-1 pole in 24db mode.
A series of 12 free instruments for Kontakt.
12 original presets
New presets, including Symphobia,Pandora, syphobia 3, Lumina.
Multis, layering individual presets
6) FBVC Vocoder
The Full Bucket Vocoder FBVC VST plug-in. Simulating the classic sounds KORG VC-10 Vocoder from 1978. Expect high performance and low CPU consumption.
- 20 band full stereo vocoder
- 64 voice polyphonic built-in Tone Generator section
- Accent Bending and Vibrato effects
- Optional WAV file playback
- Fully tweakable Analysis/Synthesis section
- Tweakable Ensemble effect
- Double precision audio processing
- All parameters can be controlled by MIDI controllers
Plug-in supports Windows and macOS (32 bit and 64 bit)
7) Key Bass
Groovy baby! , Bringing back that bassy vibe back from the ‘60s era and straight into your tool kit, with the quality mimic of one of the very first string bass monophonic simulators, the Rheem Kee Bass.
- Physical modeling (no samples used) of vintage Rheem Kee Bass
- Bass Fuzz sound – built in
- Percussion – Fast decay
- Percussion – Slow decay
- Bright-Mellow option on all sounds
- 2 Full Octave Keyboard
- Modeled Solid State Electronic Circuitry
- 2.5 MB Portable Lightweight Beauty
- Plays Booming String Bass Notes when loaded into any VST/AU host
- Advanced Features
- Level adjust
- Adjustable 25-note tuning
- Extended 128 MIDI note range
- Pitch bend ±2 semitones
- All settings MIDI learnable
- Poly mode
- Low/high/last note priority
- Attack/decay adjust
- Low pass filter with resonance
- Filter LFO/envelope modulation
- Wide range of presets
- Fine tuning
- Transpose/octave shift
8) VCV RACK
VCV Rack is a standalone synth program that represents virually every module available for the Eurorack styles.
These enormous racks of modular gear that many creative producers spend thousands of dollars collecting.
VCV Rack lets you unleash your creations your on the modular rig, straight from your desktop. The rack also allows you to create patches authentically with virtual cables, like on reason to give you the real modular experience.
The down side to the rack is that Integrating it with your DAW is a bit of a challenge —but having said that, using the plugin in just the standalone mode is just as of blast for creating inspiring patches.
Well worth using VCV Rack to see what modular is all about and what you can do with it.
Some of the features include:
- Open source modular Synthesizer
- Rack multi-threading
9) ML PG8X
Aguablly the 80s era have been a popular decade for synth plugin builders and freeware. This particular retro-l synth from developer Martin Lüders takes a lot from the classic Roland JX-8p.
You’ll find the JX-8p polysynth was one of the most used and popular keyboards of the time for a very good reason. Not only does It’s classic presets made their debut on literally hundreds of recordings from the age of synth pop.
The ML PG-8X plugin of this version gives you all the vintage feel and sounds of the original for free. It’s a cracking analog-style polysynth with every bit uniqueness and retro character rolled into one.
A good idea is to pair it up with Dexed to give you authentic 80s stacked synth textures
- up to 12 voice polyphony
- Two DCO’s with Saw, Square, Pulse, Noise
- Hard Sync and Ring Modulation
- Two exponential envelop generators
- 24 dB resonant LP filter
- HP filter (3 stages)
- Stereo Chorus
- Import and Export of JX-8P Sysex data
Vember Audio Surge is pretty much the most powerful free VST synth on this list.
Its also open source which meaning that you’re free to download the code and do whatever you wish with it
This quality sounding digital synth that can cover all kinds of syntheses.
The possibilities of sound design and creativity with this are endless, and it has to be said that Surge is the best way to do it completely free.
- Effects, 8 effect units arranged as 2 inserts per scene, 2 sends and 2 master effects
- 10 top-quality algorithms:
- Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Distortion, Conditioner (EQ, stereo-image control, and limiter), Rotary speaker,
- Frequency shifter, Vocoder
- 12 LFO units available, 6 are per voice and 6 are global for the whole scene
- DAHDSR envelope generators on every LFO-unit
- 7 deformable LFO waveforms + drawable/step sequencer waveform
- LFO 1 allows envelope retriggering when used as step sequencer
- 3 oscillators per voice
- 8 versatile oscillator algorithms: Classic, Sine, Wavetable, Window, FM2, FM3, S/H Noise and Audio input
- The classic oscillator is a morphable pulse/saw/dual saw oscillator with a sub-oscillator and self-sync.
- The FM2/FM3 oscillators consists of a carrier and 2 or 3 modulators and various options.
- Most algorithms (except FM2, FM3, Sine and Audio-input) offer up to 16-voice unison at the oscillator level.
- Oscillator FM/ring modulation